You may be frustrated by unwanted calls from unknown numbers and looking for ways to stop them.
Unfortunately, you can’t block that number since you don’t know what it looks like. What options do you have?
Find out who that unknown caller is with this article.
Table of Contents
How Do Callers Hide Their Phone Number?
When these people call you, how do they hide their phone numbers?
The No Caller ID feature allows anyone to hide their number. An Unknown Caller appears when you make this type of call. Entering a few digits is all it takes.
You must enter 67 before the number you wish to call. Your caller ID will be blocked automatically as a result of this action. It would look like this: 67-555-555-0000.
It is usually used to prevent tracking; however, some people misuse it for harassment and other illegal activities. It is for this reason that you need to learn how to unmask the number of the caller.
Unknown callers can be revealed in the following section.
How to Find out Who an Unknown Caller Is
By finding out who an unknown caller is, you can block them and stop receiving their unwanted calls. You can identify an unknown caller using the following methods.
1. Call Your Phone Company
Since phone companies keep records of your previous calls, they usually offer Anonymous Caller ID services. It depends on your carrier whether you are able to activate the *57 service. Possibly other minor details can be gleaned from this star code, including the unknown phone number.
The problem is that not all carriers support this feature, and those that do often charge a fee every time you use it. If none of the methods below work for you, contact your telephone company to see if this option is available. It is imperative that you dial the star code immediately after the anonymous call.
2. Use TrapCall
To unmask and block unknown numbers, TrapCall is one of the most reliable services.
Users of TrapCall can do the following:
- Any phone number can be unmasked.
- A caller with No Caller ID turned on can be identified by their name, address, and photo.
- Blacklist these numbers so that when they call again, they will hear a message stating that your number is disconnected.
- Automate the blocking of spam calls.
- Call recording should be used for incoming calls.
Signing up on TrapCall’s official website is all you need to do to use the service. Your mobile phone will then be activated with the service. It usually takes around five minutes and is pretty straightforward.
When you receive a No Caller ID call after setting up TrapCall, you must decline it. TrapCall then redirects the number to their system, unmasks the caller, and sends you a notification with the exact number.
TrapCall is compatible with both Android and iPhone smartphones. Outside of the United States, this service is not available.
There is a free trial option available with TrapCall. Sign up here to try it out.
Blocking Unwanted Calls
By using built-in options, cell phone manufacturers have made it easy to block unknown callers. However, keep in mind that many scammers change their numbers frequently.
Block Unwanted Calls on iPhone (iOS 13 or later)
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Tap Phone at the bottom of the page.
- Silence Unknown Callers should be toggled on.
Block Unwanted Calls on Android:
- Your Android device should open the dialer.
- You can access the menu by tapping the vertical ellipsis (three vertical dots) on the right side of the app.
- Choose Settings from the menu.
- Select Block Numbers.
- Block Unknown Callers should be toggled on.
Block Specific Numbers
By using your smartphone’s features, you can easily block an unknown caller once you figure out their number.
How to Block Specific Numbers on iPhone
The following instructions can be followed by Apple iPhone users to block calls:
- You can block a number by opening the Recent Calls app on your iPhone and scrolling to the number you want to block.
- To the right of the number, tap the i with a circle around it.
- Choose Block Caller from the drop-down menu.
- Tap Block Contact to confirm that you want to block the number.
A message will appear telling the caller that you are not accepting calls after this happens.
How to Block Specific Numbers on Android
For most Android phones, the instructions should be pretty similar regardless of the make, model, and software version.
- Start the phone’s dialer.
- In the “Recents” tab of your call log, tap the phone number.
- The i with a circle around it can be clicked.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Block.
- Confirm your selection.
The person who is calling will never know that you have blocked their number. A message similar to that of a disconnected phone will be displayed to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
To help you better understand unknown callers, here is some more information.
It is unfortunately impossible for providers to provide you with the name of an unknown caller. Otherwise, the privacy of users and legitimate callers could be compromised. Carriers do not track unknown callers, so you can’t get this information from them either.
Most phone calls you receive are benign and no more than a nuisance, but you should be cautious about any unknown calls. This type of call should never be answered.
There is a scam going on, and the number you can’t see may be from an international area, so your carrier will charge you high fees if you answer. Moreover, if the caller is genuine and the information is important, they will leave a message.